My Saturday

It was a day mixed with frustrations and fun, but overall a good day. We had team practice in the morning. It was a hilly 45 mile bike ride, and the weather was gorgeous! For those that live around here and like to bicycle, you may have heard of Inglewood Hill. For those who haven’t, it’s a lovely road going straight up a hill from East Lake Sammamish. It’s a 10-13% grade, and there’s an intersection at the bottom, so chances are that you’re starting out with zero momentum. Well, I also started with a nearly flat tire (but I didn’t know it)! Made it one third or half way up and felt like I was going to have a heart attack.  I could tell something was wrong because I’m usually a little stronger than that. Yancy had stopped to wait for me and I asked him to look at my tire, and sure enough, almost completely flat (but not flat enough to make my bike loose all control). I struggled through changing it with some help from Yancy. Took me forever to get the tire back on the rim, then I screwed up with my CO2 cartridge and wasted some of it. When the tire was back on the bike I didn’t have the chain lined up right so I was trying to ride off and the pedals weren’t working. Argh! At this point the entire team is at least 15-20 minutes ahead of us. Due to my screw up with the CO2, the back tire was still a bit low. Just low enough to make me work extra hard on hills and make the back end a little fishy. Yancy was very patient with me, but I got frustrated and decided to give up on the planned route and take a side road back to our car and tire pump. So Yancy went on alone and tried in vain to catch up to everyone else. He had a really tough ride too, struggling with some brutal hills. I got back to the car, took a quick break, then did another loop back to were the rest of the team would be finishing. Even with cutting my ride short, I still got over 36 miles in. And I sure enjoyed the first warm, sunny ride of the year! When I got back to the parking lot with the rest of the team, Yancy was still out riding. He came back so frustrated that he was talking of throwing in the towel. Neither one of us have been training like we should over the last several weeks (stress is the main culprit, but not a good excuse). He had a talk with the coach and seems to be getting refocused. We can both finish this half iron triathlon, we just need to work for it. We’ve got to stay focused. After practice, most of the team went to a local bagel shop and sat around visiting in the sunshine. I’m loving this weather! Can’t wait for summer!!!

Some teammates hosted a fundraiser event of karaoke, beer, and raffles last night at Nuun Headquarters in Capital Hill Seattle. Originally I hadn’t planned to go because beer and singing in front of crowds (especially people who know you) doesn’t really appeal to me. But we ended up going and having a great time. Half our team was there and several from some of my previous teams. I got up with some friends and sang a song. Yancy had some beer and had fun recording people on his iPhone. (for blackmail some day?) We left around 10:30pm and the party was still going strong. It’s interesting when you’re used to seeing people in a certain role (like coworkers or teammates that you’re always exercising with), then see them cut loose in a different environment. I just have to say that we are so lucky to have found this group of amazing people! Life is good!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: