Chelanman 2012!

I did my 7th triathlon as a celebration of my 7 year wedding anniversary with Yancy (two weeks early). We stayed at the same bed & breakfast in Chelan that we went to for our honeymoon. It was Yancy’s second triathlon. I love that we have this new hobby together! We drove over the day before under HEAVY rain and thunder storms. I was stressing out a little because it wasn’t looking like good triathlon weather. But the clouds cleared out by the evening and it was clear for the race… and hot! My swim went very well. I had been recovering from a shoulder issue, but it behaved almost the entire time. I swam 0.9 miles in 32 minutes! It’s true what they say about the Chelanman swim, the water is so clean and it’s easy to sight on the rope they string between the buoys. Yancy’s dad was there when I got out of the water. It’s always great to have someone supporting you at a race, helps keep you in a positive mental place. My 25 mile bike ride was pretty good. I had some issues with a “soft” back tire, but it didn’t really slow me too much. There were hills, but I pushed right through.

Both the bike & run course are an “out & back” on the same road so you get to see your competition a lot. Yancy and I crossed paths shortly after I turned at the half way point. I kept pushing and didn’t let him catch up.  🙂  Unfortunately I was pretty much burnt up by the time I started the run. Literally. I could feel my shoulders burning and I couldn’t seem to cool down. The whole run is on pavement and it was super hot (too much for this “coasty”)! I ended up walking most of the time for the 6.2 miles.

Here’s the best part, I was having FUN the whole time! I finished in 3 hours and 50 minutes, which isn’t my best time for an olympic distance tri, but still about what I was expecting. I didn’t get down on myself for walking. And I was getting lots of support from spectators and other racers. Plus I beat Yancy! That probably won’t happen again. 😛
After the race we took a quick shower then went out for lunch. Yancy’s dad treated us to a big meal at BC McDonald’s. He had to head home and we went back to our room for a little nap. In the afternoon we found a quiet park to sit in the shade and relax a bit. We had dinner at our new favorite place in Chelan: Tin Lilly. After dinner we went out to a friend’s house and spent a few hours there having drinks and chatting.

On Sunday we went back to the park to cheer on a few friends doing the sprint distance triathlon (half of the olympic that we did). It was hot again and we were already looking forward to heading back to Seattle. The whole weekend was very laid back and fun. I feel so blessed to be healthy enough to do this and for all the friends and loved ones in my life that encourage me along the way. Life is good!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: